Do not think that gliders are boring and silent machines. The Discus is capable of speeds, altitudes, range and aerobatics that make most GA aircraft envious. Of course you can choose to make flights of many hours but you can also find some ridge lift and play around for a while. The Aerosoft Discus is a high end simulation of a high end glider.
The Discus is a Standard Class glider created by Schempp-Hirth. It was produced in Germany between 1984 and 1995 and around 850 aircraft are still flying. It is still produced in the Czech Republic in low numbers. With its distinctive swept back leading edge it was rather revolutionary when it was produced and it totally dominated the standard class sailplane racing throughout the 1980s and won the 1985, 1987 and 1989 World Gliding Championships.
Though it is no longer a top contender for the prices (the progress in gliders in the last 10 years is nothing short of amazing), it is still a high performance glider with a 42 to 1 glide ratio. The good natured flight characteristics made it a perfect club glider for the experienced gliders. The later models (though many are retrofitted) had winglets that made the performance and handling better. In Europe it is one of the most prolific gliders and it is very typical of gliders that the thousands of enthusiasts fly every weekend.
The Aerosoft Discus has been create with help from Schempp-Hirth and without a doubt it is the first true high end glider add-on for FS. From the flight models that is near perfect (do note we never used these words for any product before) to the C4 Flight Computer that is the heart of the instruments it is all so accurate that we feel 100% confident to provide the customer with the 'real' manuals, of course with permission of the copyright owners. There are ten models included but they can be divided into three base models. We got four B models that are pure gliders, four BT models that got a small engine that allows the pilot to cruise between thermals and two BM models that allow the pilot to take off on its own power. All ten models got different flight models. As FSX does not allow any motorized aircraft to be air towed we even include the very realistic WinchX! add-on that simulates a which launch down to the smallest details. This is a very complete project that will give you all options modern glider pilots got.
- Fully professional development (over 20 months).
- Ten high detail models (for example just the VC of the BT model has 146384 polygons, more than double of what FS2004 could compile) using all the FSX options.
- Highly advanced flight models that are accurate even in spins and other no standard attitudes.
- Over 100 non standard sounds (like flying with open windows, side slips, pending stalls etc) all triggered by FSX variables and conditions using Aerosoft Sound Control.
- Full working water ballast system.
- Two Static ports (with selector) to avoid problems when using the auxiliary engines.
- Dozens of non standard animations, up to elements that move under high G load.
- Very realistic flexing wings created with a new technology.
- All instruments accurate, including TEC and NETTO variometers. Not like this simplified gauges in the default glider in FSX.
- Real usable yaw string that will make coordinated flight a lot easier.
- All models include a highly realistic C4 Flight Computer that allows then pilot to calculate ideal speeds and routes.
- Includes a licensed copy of Winch X! .
- Designed with full support of Schempp-Hirth, SDI Variomers and the SOAR online glider community.
- Includes a FSX manual (English) and the actual 'real' manuals for the gliders and C4 Flight Computer (English and German)
BOX/CD-Version (FSX): Version 1.50, printed Manual (English, German, French) *(1)
Download-Version (FSX): Version 1.50, Manual as .pdf file included (German, English) *(1)
*(1) Manuals included as a .pdf-file :
- 1x FSX Manual (English)
- 3x Original Glider Manuals (English, German)
- 1x Original Manual for the C4 Flight Computer (English, German)
Awards / Reviews:
Review from fsBreak.net:
"Overall, you have to ask yourself if you are a glider person or not. If soaring through the skies, riding the thermals with maybe a little bit of aerobatics tossed in sounds like a great time to you, then I would recommend the Discus Glider X without hesitation. If you have been interested in the default glider included with FSX, you will find this to be MUCH improved and a more realistic aircraft.
After flying the Discus Glider X for a few days, I went back to the default glider included with FSX – The difference is night and day. After flying this model, the default glider feels completely disconnected from the control surface, and the cockpit to be very basic at best.
I would recommend some great scenery to go with it though. A unique experience with a glider is that you have almost a full range of vision. Unlike a small GA aircraft like a C172, you don’t have the engine & prop in your vision, nor do you have the wings or passenger seat. You have uninterrupted vision from the front, side to side, and vertically. If you’re looking to explore a massive scenery expansion (Like Tongass Fjords, Switzerland Pro, Orbx FTX, etc) this glider is perfect to do that. You are able to get lower, slower, and closer than you can with any other aircraft out there."
Click here to read the complete review!
Conclusion by simFlight.com:
"I liked this glider but I do like flying low and slow. I had a couple of minor issues when I first installed the "Discus" but these were easily fixed with a post on the forum. I can't wait to see how far I can fly or how high I can get in this glider."
Click here to read the complete review
Conclusion by FlightSimulatorXWorld.com:
"... this was the add-on glider pilots have been waiting for since the release of the very first Microsoft Flight Simulator. Am I giving too much credit here? I think not. Certainly, there is still room for improvement, although not much. It's the first add-on of its kind, but it sets a very high standard none the less."
Click here to read the complete Review!
Microsoft Flight Simulator X (SP2 or Acceleration)
Windows XP / Vista 32Bit or 64Bit / Windows7 with the latest Service Packs
Microsoft .NET Framework Version 3.5 Redistributable Package => Download here
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) => Download here
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU (2x 2666Mhz) or equivalent (Core 2 Quad CPU recommended)
2 GB RAM
DX9 Graphic Card with at least 256 MB (512 MB highly recommended)
Mouse with mouse wheel
Download-Size: 160 MB
Installation-Size: 600 MB
Additional Downloads :
- Cumulus X! (creates thermal lift with appropriate clouds)
- Sim probe (creates highly realistic winds over hills and mountains)
Read more in the .pdf-Manual (English/French/German) : >> Click here <<