Price incl. 20% VAT
Available as instant download
- Article number: AS11116
- Publisher: Aerosoft
- Language: Deutsch/English/Francais
- Current version: 1.60
Do not think that gliders are boring and silent machines. The Discus is capable of speeds, altitudes, range and aerobatics that make most GA aircraft envious. Of course you can choose to make flights of many hours but you can also find some ridge lift and play around for a while. The Aerosoft Discus is a high end simulation of a high end glider.
The Discus is a Standard Class glider created by Schempp-Hirth. It was produced in Germany between 1984 and 1995 and around 850 aircraft are still flying. It is still produced in the Czech Republic in low numbers. With its distinctive swept back leading edge it was rather revolutionary when it was produced and it totally dominated the standard class sailplane racing throughout the 1980s and won the 1985, 1987 and 1989 World Gliding Championships.
Though it is no longer a top contender for the prices (the progress in gliders in the last 10 years is nothing short of amazing), it is still a high performance glider with a 42 to 1 glide ratio. The good natured flight characteristics made it a perfect club glider for the experienced gliders. The later models (though many are retrofitted) had winglets that made the performance and handling better. In Europe it is one of the most prolific gliders and it is very typical of gliders that the thousands of enthusiasts fly every weekend.
The Aerosoft Discus has been create with help from Schempp-Hirth and without a doubt it is the first true high end glider add-on for FS. From the flight models that are near perfect (do note we never used these words for any product before) to the C4 Flight Computer that is the heart of the instruments it is all so accurate that we feel 100% confident to provide the customer with the 'real' manuals, of course with permission of the copyright owners. There are ten models included but they can be divided into three base models. We got four B models that are pure gliders, four BT models that got a small engine that allows the pilot to cruise between thermals and two BM models that allow the pilot to take off on its own power. All ten models got different flight models. As FSX does not allow any motorized aircraft to be air towed we even include the very realistic WinchX! add-on that simulates a which launch down to the smallest details. This is a very complete project that will give you all options modern glider pilots got.
- Fully professional development (over 20 months).
- Ten high detail models (for example just the VC of the BT model has 146384 polygons, more than double of what FS2004 could compile) using all the FSX options.
- Highly advanced flight models that are accurate even in spins and other no standard attitudes.
- Over 100 non standard sounds (like flying with open windows, side slips, pending stalls etc) all triggered by FSX variables and conditions using Aerosoft Sound Control.
- Full working water ballast system.
- Two Static ports (with selector) to avoid problems when using the auxiliary engines.
- Dozens of non standard animations, up to elements that move under high G load.
- Very realistic flexing wings created with a new technology.
- All instruments accurate, including TEC and NETTO variometers. Not like this simplified gauges in the default glider in FSX.
- Real usable yaw string that will make coordinated flight a lot easier.
- All models include a highly realistic C4 Flight Computer that allows then pilot to calculate ideal speeds and routes.
- Includes a licensed copy of Winch X! .
- Designed with full support of Schempp-Hirth, SDI Variomers and the SOAR online glider community.
- Includes a FSX manual (English) and the actual 'real' manuals for the gliders and C4 Flight Computer (English and German)
Awards / Reviews:
Conclusion by MutleysHangar.com:
"Overall, I have thoroughly enjoyed my time flying the Discus Gliders. A very, very well done to Aerosoft – Flawless modelling, great systems and instruments, unprecedented detail... It has it all. The add-on is a phenomenal simulation of something completely new – Glider Flying. Aerosoft are the first company to take on this task and I must say they have done a remarkable job. A great challenge for any pilot wishing to expand his horizons. Overall 9.5/10"
Read full review
Conclusion by simFlight.com:
"I liked this glider but I do like flying low and slow. I had a couple of minor issues when I first installed the "Discus" but these were easily fixed with a post on the forum. I can't wait to see how far I can fly or how high I can get in this glider."
Read full review
Conclusion by FSBreak.net:
"After flying the Discus Glider X for a few days, I went back to the default glider included with FSX – The difference is night and day. After flying this model, the default glider feels completely disconnected from the control surface, and the cockpit to be very basic at best."
Read full review
Conclusion by Aviation-links.co.uk:
"The end result is a quite superb and novel add-on for Flight Simulator X which must surely tick many boxes for those, like me, who have been keen to exploit further the options that FSX opens up as regards gliding. I have spent many happy hours testing out this package and now that the testing is over, I shall still come back to Discus X, I feel certain! I am also quietly hoping that sales of this package go well so that Aerosoft will be convinced to consider producing other gliders for FSX and even inspiring some of its competitors to join the fun and get the gliding bug."
Read full review
Read more in the PDF manual: >> Click here <<
Microsoft Flight Simulator X (SP2 or Acceleration)
Windows XP / Vista 32Bit or 64Bit / Windows7 with the latest Service Packs
Microsoft .NET Framework Version 3.5 Redistributable Package => Download here
Microsoft Visual C 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) => Download here
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU (2x 2666Mhz) or equivalent (Core 2 Quad CPU recommended)
2 GB RAM
DX9 Graphic Card with at least 256 MB (512 MB highly recommended)
Mouse with mouse wheel
Download-Size: 160 MB
Installation-Size: 600 MB